This scarce and desirable railway clock beautifully presents its long and interesting service history. One of a small number produced by J Sewill of Liverpool for the London & North Western Railway pre 1880 when the contract to supply clocks to the L&NWR was lost.
Paper labels to the case rear indicate the clock was located at Llanberis Station, which opened to traffic on 1st July 1869. Fixing holes for a previous L&NWR enamel clock number are visible to the bottom of the dial surround. A later ‘BR-WR 4728’ ivorine numberplate is pinned to the bottom right corner of the back box. The hand painted dial has ‘B.R.-W.’ text complemented with very clear ghost writing ‘J SEWILL’ ’61 SOUTH CASTLE ST’ ‘LIVERPOOL’.
Mahogany case with single piece turned dial surround. Good quality fusee mechanism with brass turned and collared pillars, original pendulum and winding key. Clock runs well and keeps good time.